Benefiting most from ACE Writing Support
Do I need appointment?
During the traditional fall and spring semesters (September-May), you are welcome to walk into the study lab next to the cafeteria. You can call (248) 218-2173 or check the weekly schedule in the ACE Lab to confirm that a writing tutor will be in the lab.
During summer courses, ACE offers help on the main campus, by appointment only. Please note, since the traditional students are not on campus summer tutoring is limited. If you anticipate needing a lot of support please consider that when scheduling your classes.
Check the main ACE page for hours and closed dates.
What should you expect from ACE writing tutors?
- Individual assistance on the writing issues that concern you
- Helpful, courteous, and competent traditional-student writing assistants
- Support for writers at any stage in the writing process
- Improvement in your overall writing skills after repeat visits
What should you not expect from the ACE writing assistants?
- An editing service where we do the work while you sit and watch; we strive to help you to learn.
- A perfect paper – 60 minutes is often not enough time to address everything. Repeat visits may be necessary to polish your writing. The real goal of the writing support is to help you become a better writer not to perfect a particular paper.
- Flawless ACE assistants who know all of the answers; what we do not know we will research with you.
- Answers to all of your writing questions in just one or two sessions – becoming a better writer is a process that happens gradually
- A quick editing service just hours before a paper is due
What else should you know?
- Bring your writing assignment, ideas, notes, drafts, other relevant materials, and a specific task on which to work.
- Be prepared to take an active role in your sessions. Let the ACE assistant know specifically where you need assistance.
- Plan ahead and come in days before the assignment is due in order to have time to make proper revisions.
Repeat visitors to the ACE Lab agree that…*
- Overall writing abilities improve over the course of the semester.
- They gain a better understanding of the process for writing.
- ACE writing assistants do provide the needed help.
- ACE writing assistants are friendly, courteous, and encouraging.
*Based on 2010-2012 semester evaluations