The Associates of Rochester College were founded primarily to provide financial support for the college. Three weeks before the college opened its doors to the pioneer student body in 1959, Alma Gatewood, wife of the college’s first president, hosted a meeting for women interested in raising funds for the new college. Despite stormy weather conditions, about 350 women packed in and around the recreation room of the estate house on campus for that meeting. The unexpected response foreshadowed years of successful efforts by the organization being born that night.
Since our founding, the Associates have played a vital role in the development of Rochester College. Nearly every building on the campus, as well as a good portion of the equipment, athletic fields and parking areas exist in part as a result of major contributions of the Associates. Following are some of the projects the Associates assisted in funding: