Parent Plus application process
- Go to studentloans.gov (Be sure to use the .gov extension and not .com.)
- Before applying for the PLUS Loan, the parent borrower must sign in (under the Manage My Direct Loan) using his or her U.S. Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN). See illustration above.
- When the next page opens, select Request PLUS Loan from the menu in the lefthand column (or Start PLUS Application Process in the center of the page).
- Follow the steps to complete the application and credit check. In the School Name section, be sure to select Rochester College.
- The results of your credit check will be available immediately. If your credit is approved, you will be given instructions for completing a PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note, if you have not already completed one. If your credit is not approved, you will have the option to (1) not pursue the loan, (2) obtain an endorser, or (3) appeal the credit decision.
For assistance please contact Applicant Services at 1-800-557-7394 or our office at 248-218-2034.
Note: We will assume that you are requesting the loan for the Fall and Spring 2011-2012 terms. If you would like the loan for only one term, please let us know as soon as possible. Completing the application process is the acceptance of the parent loan. Parents may send an email or letter to our office, requesting the loan to be reduced or cancelled no later than 14 days after the first disbursement. Parent loan amounts will be awarded with $500/semester for textbooks. If the parent loan amount requested by the borrower is a larger amount, we will award up to the maximum eligibility amount.
You may contact our office to receive a paper version of the PLUS Loan credit check and parent award letter. Please be aware, however, that the paper process may take longer. You will still need to fill out a master promissory note online.