MEET THE FACULTY – Sara Barton
Assistant Professor of English and Religion
M.A., Spring Arbor University
B.A., Harding University
School: School of Humanities/School of Theology and Ministry
Office: Gatewood Basement
Phone: (248) 218.2048
- Introduction to Christian Faith
- Survey of Biblical Literature
- Spiritual Formation
- Life of Christ
- Composition A
- Composition B
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
- Rochester College Champions of Character Liaison, National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, 2011-present
- Assistant Professor of English and Religion, Rochester College, 2008-present
- Christian Colleges and Universities, External Review Team for Spiritual Formation at Pepperdine University, 2012
- Spiritual Formation Coach for Master’s degree students at Rochester College, 2010-2012
- Director, Pontiac Early College at Rochester College, 2011-2012
- Small Groups Minister, Rochester Church of Christ, 2008
- Organizer for Uganda Mission Internships for Rochester College, 2002-present
- Associate Editor and contributing writer for New Wineskins Magazine, 2004-2008
- Campus Minister, Rochester College, 2002-2008
- Church Planting Ministry, Jinja, Uganda, 1994-2002
- English and Speech Teacher, Kirby High School, Memphis, Tennessee, 1991-93
Sara’s professional interests center on spiritual formation in the life of the church. Sara and her husband John have two children, Nate and Brynn. Their family lived in Uganda, East Africa, from 1994-2002, where they worked as missionaries. Sara enjoys gardening, reading, and travel.
- Pepperdine University Lectures, 2002-2012. Presentations include “Pastoral Ministry and the Psalms,” “Worship That Leads Us Outside Our Faith Communities,” “Heeding God’s Call in the Midst of Church Tradition.”
- Zoe Worship Conference, 2002-2009, Presentations include “Women in the Church,” “Reading the Bible for Formation,” “Safety and the Kingdom of God.”
- Abilene Christian University Lecture Series, 2004-2008. Titles Include “African Wealth and Western Poverty” and “Worship For The Sake of the World.”
- Christian Scholars Conference, 2009. “The College/University Chaplaincy: The Opportunities and Challenges of Chaplaincy in a University/College Setting.”
- Article: “Homeland Security” in New Wineskins, September-December 2004, at www.zoegroup.org. Web.
- Article: “Reading Mark’s Gospel Aloud” in New Wineskins, 2005, at www.zoegroup.org. Web.
- Article: “What Really Matters: Conversations with Twenty-Somethings” in New Wineskins, July-August, 2010, at www.zoegroup.org. Web.
- Article: “Interview with Shane Claiborne” in New Wineskins, May-June, 2007, at www.zoegroup.org. Web.
- Barton, Sara (2011). “The Power of the Psalms in the Lives of Urban Teenagers,” Leaven 19.3, Article 6. Available at: http://digitalcommons.pepperdine.edu/leaven/vol19/iss3/6
- Barton, Sara, and Graves, Josh (2008). “The Beauty of Suffering,” Leaven (16.1), Article 8.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.pepperdine.edu/leaven/vol16/iss1/8
- A Woman Called: Piecing Together the Ministry Puzzle, Leafwood Press, 2012.