MEET THE FACULTY – Ruth A. Chaplen
Associate Professor of Nursing
D.N.P., Wayne State University
M.S.N., Wayne State University
B.S.N., Nazareth College, Kalamazoo, Michigan
School: School of Nursing
Office: Muirhead Center 113
Phone: (248) 218.2283
- Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education, Wayne State University: 2013
- Specialty Certification: Nurse Practitioner, State of Michigan: 1997 – 2015
- Certification: Advanced Medical-Surgical Clinical Nurse Specialist, American Nurses Certification Corporation: 1997 – 2017
- Certification: Advanced Practice Oncology Nurse (AOCN), Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation: 1996-2016
- Certified Course Trainer, Oncology Nursing Society Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course: 2000 – 2013
- Basic Life Support, 1973 – 2015
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- Oncology Nursing Society, National and Local Member: 1992 to present
- Past President: Metro-Detroit Chapter
- Advanced Practice Nurse of the Year: Metro-Detroit Chapter
- Invited Member: Task Force to Develop Online Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Course (Item Writer)
- Invited Member: Task Force to Determine Passing Score, Advanced Oncology Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam
- Invited Member: Task Force for Role Delineation Study: Advanced Practice Certification Exam
- Invited Member: Item Writer for Advanced Oncology Certification Exam
- Item-writer for the NCLEX-RN (National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses): National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing Inductee and Member: 1995 – present
- United States Armed Forces Officers Association: Life Member
- Veterans of Foreign Wars: Life Member
- Chaplen, R. A. (2015). Assessment of the thorax and lungs. In S. Jensen Nursing health assessment: a Best practice approach. (2nd ed.). In Press. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Wilkins & Williams.
- Chaplen, R. A. (2011). Chapter 7: Respiratory system (Listed as contributor, publisher listed as book author). Professional guide to pathophysiology, (3rd ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Chaplen, R. A. & Malberg, L. (2007). Malignancies of the Gastrointestinal Tract. In Oncology Nursing (5th ed.), Philadelphia: Elsevier.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (Online):
- Chaplen, R.A. (2014). Chemotherapy and Biotherapy certification course: initial online course. Writer, 50 test items. Oncology Nursing Society. Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation.
- Chaplen, R.A. (2013). Lippincott’s online nursing procedure manual. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Developed procedures for all chemotherapy and biotherapy-related nursing activities.
- Chaplen, R.A. (2012). Module: Emergencies in the Oncology Setting, one of eight modules in the Oncology Nursing Society’s Post-Graduate Nurse Practitioner Course; Oncology Nursing Society.
Ruth has one son, Robert (married to Jamie Tucker Chaplen) and four amazing grandchildren she loves to spend time with: Marissa (13), Peyton (8), Jayden (5), and Mason (2 months). She has a clinical practice at Karmanos Cancer Institute as a Nurse Practitioner, where she has practiced since 1995 in virtually all malignant hematology and oncology specialties. Currently she is working with patients living with leukemias, lymphomas, and multiple myeloma. Ruth retired in 2009 as a Lieutenant Colonel from the United States Air Force Nurse Corp, where she served as a reservist at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. She was deployed multiple times over her 25 year military career. She is a veteran of Desert Shield/Desert Storm where she served in Saudi Arabia and Oman as a Flight Nurse.