MEET THE FACULTY – Naomi Walters
Associate Professor of Religion
D.Min., Lipscomb University
M.Div., Abilene Christian University
B.S., Rochester College
School: School of Theology and Ministry
Office: Muirhead 123
Phone: (248) 218.2143
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- Outstanding Comprehensive Exams Award, Abilene Christian University, Master of Divinity, 2010.
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
- Adjunct Instructor of Bible, Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX (2009-2015)
- Preaching Minister, Stamford Church of Christ, Stamford, CT (2013-2015)
- Office Administrator, The Wilberforce School, Princeton, NJ (2010-2013)
Naomi enjoys reading Scripture with others, and imagining the kingdom of God described therein, a passion that informed her preaching ministry at the Stamford Church of Christ (CT) before beginning work here at Rochester. In addition to Scripture and homiletics, Naomi’s academic interests include TV, movies, and music; spiritual temperaments or types; and the lectionary/liturgical calendar.
Naomi and her husband, Jamey, have two young sons: Simon (Big Brother) and Ezra (Little Brother). When the boys let her, she enjoys reading, running, playing soccer, listening to music, and watching TV and movies. She can’t wait to coach Simon’s soccer team someday! She prefers salty snacks over sweet, coffee over tea, and any time of day over early morning.
Publications – Articles
- “1 Kings 17:8-16,” Finding your Voices: Sermons by Women in the Church of Christ, edited by D’Esta Love. Abilene: Abilene Christian University Press, 2015.
- “Lord’s Supper and Hospitality.” Leaven, Volume 22.4, 2014.
- “Why Language for God Matters.” New Wineskins, Volume 14.3, 2010.
- “Playful Interrogation and Faithful Improvisation: A Preaching Workshop.” Annual Conference. Community of Women Ministers in Churches of Christ. June 2017.
- “Please Understand Me: Spiritual Typology and Congregational Diversity.” Pepperdine Bible Lectures. Pepperdine University. May 2017.
- “Three Proposals for Worship.” Streaming. Rochester College. October 2017
- “Paths to Gender-Inclusion in Leadership.” Christian Scholars’ Conference. Lipscomb University. June 2016.
- Discussion Panel: God the Spirit by Michael Welker. Streaming. Rochester College. October 2015.
- “Letting Scripture Read You: An Adult Bible Class Dwells in the Word.” Pepperdine Bible Lectures. Pepperdine University. May 2015.
- “Is Anybody Listening? Preaching to Millennials.” Pepperdine Bible Lectures. Pepperdine University. May 2015.
- Discussion Panel: Benefit of the Doubt by Gregory A. Boyd. Streaming. Rochester College. October 2014.
- “Finding Your Preaching Voice” Preacher Initiative. Highland Oaks Church of Christ; Dallas, TX. October 2014.
- “Gender Roles & Congregational Change.” Christian Scholars’ Conference. Lipscomb University. June 2014.
- Leaven Journal Symposium: “Lord’s Supper and Hospitality.” Pepperdine Bible Lectures. Pepperdine University. May 2014.
- “A Tale of Two Genders.” Pepperdine Bible Lectures. Pepperdine University. May 2014.
- Discussion Panel: She is Called by Sara Barton. Pepperdine Bible Lectures. Pepperdine University. May 2013.
- Discussion Panel: Unclean by Richard Beck. Streaming. Rochester College. June 2012.
- “Everyone Needs a Good Story: Watching TV Theologically.” Summit. Abilene Christian University. September 2011.
- Discussion Panel: The Blue Parakeet by Scot McKnight. Streaming. Rochester College. June 2011.
- “What’s That on Your Forehead?: Discovering the Christian Calendar.” Summit. Abilene Christian University. September 2009.
- Various book reviews in Restoration Quarterly