MEET THE FACULTY – Melvin R. Storm
Professor of New Testament
Ph.D., Baylor University
M.A., Pepperdine University
B.A., Pepperdine University
School: School of Theology and Ministry
Office: Muirhead 123
Phone: (248) 218.2115
- Life and Teachings of Jesus
- Synoptic Gospels
- Gospel & Letters of John
- The Gospel of Mark
- I & II Corinthians
- Pauline Letters I: Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Philemon
- Pastoral Epistles: 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus
- General Letters: The Letters of James, 1 and 2 Peter, and Jude
- Biblical Interpretation
- Elementary New Testament Greek
- Intermediate New Testament Greek Grammar
- Advanced Greek Readings
- Society of Biblical Literature
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
- Chairperson, Rochester College Department of Religion and Bible, 1988-2003
- Director, Rochester College Graduate Studies in Religion, 2003-06
Mel has been teaching at Rochester College since 1986. His primary academic interests are in gospel studies, especially the Fourth Gospel, and the letters of Paul focusing on historical, literary, and theological concerns. For the past twenty years Mel has served as elder for the Heritage Church of Christ. Mel enjoys the performing arts, having sung with the Madrigal Chorale for over seventeen years, and has performed in three theater productions, including It’s a Wonderful Life (Winter 2008), “…Who Returned My Soul” (Summer 2011), and the lead in Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman (April 2011). Mel is to Diane Marie. They have four sons, two daughter-in-laws, and two grandsons.
- “Stewardship.” Rochester College Bible Lectureships, 1988.
- “The Good Shepherd: An Exposition of John 10.” Rochester College Bible Lectureships, 1990.
- “Faithful Servants of a Sovereign God: Hebrews 11.” Rochester College Bible Lectureships, 1991.
- “When My Faith is Challenged: 1 Peter 3:13-22.” Rochester College Bible Lectureships, 1993.
- “Chosen for Life: The Call of Holiness for the People of God: 1Peter 1:3-2:11.” Harding University Bible Lectureships, 1996.
- “God’s Pilgrim People.” Pepperdine University Bible Lectureships, 1999.
- “God’s Purified People: Paul Confronts Sin and Complacency in the Church.” Pepperdine University Lectureships, 2001.
- “A Study of 1 Corinthians 7:10-16 and Romans 7:1-6.” Concerned Brothers Meeting, Lincoln Park, Michigan, November 2001.
- “Analysis of John York’s Sermon.” Rochester College Sermon Seminar, Rochester College, May 2005.
- “Neither Male nor Female: Gender Roles in the Church.” East Lansing Seminar, November 4-5, 2005.
- “Diotrephes: A Study of Rivalry in the Apostolic Church.” Restoration Quarterly (4th Quarter 1993).
- “Binding Together Both Strong and Weak.” Integrity (Winter 98-99), Vol. 29 no. 4.
- “A Colleague’s Reflection on the Career of Stephen Eckstein.” Restoration Quarterly (4th Quarter 2001).
- “God’s Pilgrim People.” Restoration Quarterly (4th Quarter 2001).
- Review of Gail R. O’Day, The Word Disclosed: Preaching the Gospel of John. Leaven (2nd Quarter 2004), Vol. 12, no. 2.
- “Compositional Comments, John York’s Sermon ‘Only the Blind Can See, co-author with David Bland.’” St. Louis: Chalice Press, 2006.
- The Man From Nazareth: The Story of Jesus According to Matthew, Mark and Luke. Eugene, Oregon: Wipf and Stock, 2006.