MEET THE FACULTY – Mark Love
Associate Professor of Theology
Dean, School of Theology and Ministry
Director, Resource Center for Missional Leadership
Doctoral Candidate, Luther Seminary
D.Min., Abilene Christian University
M.Div., Pepperdine University
M.A., Abilene Christian University
B.A., Abilene Christian University
School: School of Theology and Ministry
Office: Muirhead 102
Phone: (248) 218.2300
- Leading the Missional Congregation
- Gospel and Cultures
- Hospitality as Leadership
- Survey of Biblical Literature
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- Academy of Religious Leadership (2009-present)
- Society of Biblical Literature (2001-present)
- Academy of Homiletics (2001-present)
- Book Review Editor, Leaven Journal (2001-present)
- Managing Editor, Leaven Journal (1986-1993)
- Editorial Board Member, Leaven Journal (1986-present)
- Living Service Alumni Award, Cascade College, Sept, 2006.
- Outstanding Project Thesis Award, “Reimagining Evangelism at the East County Church of Christ,” Abilene Christian University, Doctor of Ministry, 1997.
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
- Dean, School of Theology and Ministry, Rochester College (2012-present)
- Director, Resource Center for Missional Leadership, Rochester College (2009-present)
- Assistant Professor of Ministry, Graduate School of Theology, Abilene Christian University (2001-2009)
- Director of Ministry Events, Abilene Christian University (2001-2009)
- Adjunct Professor of Bible, Columbia Christian College/Cascade College, Portland, Oregon (1991-2001)
- Minister of the Word, East County Church of Christ, Gresham, Oregon (1990-2001)
- Asst. Minister, Park Row Church of Christ, Arlington, Texas (1984-1990)
Mark served congregations in Texas and Oregon in full-time ministry for 17 years before moving into the world of academia. He consults with congregations across the United States who are interested in cultivating a missional identity. Mark relaxes by playing his guitar, working out and watching sports. He is learning to love Red Wings hockey. His son, Josh, lives in a new monastic community in Abilene, Texas.
Publications – Books
- Love, Mark, Douglas A. Foster, Randall J. Harris, Seeking a Lasting City: The Church’s Journey in the Story of God. Abilene, TX.: ACU Press, 2005.
- Love, Mark. Matthew: Finding Treasure New and Old. Abilene, Texas: HillCrest, 2000.
Publications – Articles
- “Missio Dei, Trinitarian Theology, and the Quest for a Post-colonial Missiology,” Missio Dei Journal (August, 2010).
- “Missional as a Socially-Embodied Trinitarian Theology of Participation: Reflections on Ecumenical Contributions to Missio Dei and Ecclesiology,” Missiology: An International Review (January, 2009).
- “Believe the Good News: Mark 1:15,” Preaching Mark’s Unsettling Messiah. Edited by David Bland and David Fleer. St. Louis: Chalice Press, 2006.
- “The Care of Souls: Pastoral Prayer,” Like a Shepherd Lead Us: Guidance for the Gentle Art of Pastoring. Edited by David Fleer and Charles Siburt. Abilene, Texas; ACU Press: 2006.
- “Though Mountains Shake in the Sea: Psalm 46,” Performing the Psalms. Edited by Dave Bland and David Fleer. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2005.
- “Going to Church in the Psalms: Psalm 89,” Performing the Psalms. Edited by Dave Bland and David Fleer. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2005.
- “The Word is Near to You: Preaching Beyond Analogy,” Leaven Journal. 11:4, 2003, 185-92.
- “Funding the Sermon with Gospeled Imagination: Reflections on Text and Sermon from Romans,” Preaching Romans. Abilene, Texas: ACU Press, 2002.
- “Sermons from Corinthians,” Preaching Autobiography. Abilene, Texas: ACU Press, 2001.
- “Living in the Peace of God: Perspectives from Romans,” Leaven Journal. 9:4, 2001, 205-209.
- “Have Mercy on Me, O God: Psalm 51,” Leaven Journal. 7:3, 1999, 148-157.
- “Nurturing Narrative Evangelists,” Leaven Journal. 7:2, 1999, 85-89.
- “Soteriology and Missional Imagination.” Christian Scholar’s Conference, Pepperdine University, June 2011.
- “Missio Dei, Trinitarian Theology and the Quest for a Post-Colonial Missiology.” Christian Scholar’s Conference, Lipscomb University, June 2010.
- “Beyond Translation: Mission After the Hermeneutical Turn.” American Society of Missiology, June 2008.
- “Worship and the Missional Church Movement.” Christian Scholar’s Conference, Rochester College, June 2007.
- “Beyond Faith and Learning.” The Southwest Conference on Christianity and Literature & Inscription, September 2006.
- “Missional Innovation, Abilene Christian University and the Churches of Christ.” Gospel and Our Culture Consultation, Luther Seminary, October 2005.
- “Practical Theology as a Way Beyond Integration of Faith and Learning.” Theology and the Christian University, Abilene Christian University, March 2005.
- “Though Mountains Shake in the Depths of the Sea: Psalm 46.” Rochester College Lectures on Preaching, May 2004.
- “From Text to Sermon in Romans.” Rochester College Lectures on Preaching, May, 2001.
- “Recovering Gospeled Preaching.” Abilene Christian University Lectures on Preaching, September, 2000.
- “Toward a Post-Liberal Theology of Evangelism.” Christian Scholars Conference, Pepperdine University, June 1997.