MEET THE FACULTY – James L. Dawson
Associate Professor of Education
M.Ed., University of Windsor
B.Sc., University of Windsor
School: School of Education
Office: Campus Center (CC) 215
Phone: (248) 218.2121
- Classroom Management Strategies
- Ethics and Philosophy of Education
- Foundations of Education
- Instructional Design and Assessment – Elementary
- Instructional Design and Assessment – Secondary
- Teaching Across Cultures
- Teaching Across Cultures Immersion Experience
- Science Foundations II
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- Distinguished Faculty Member, 2011-2012, Rochester College
- Emeritus Award, Science Teachers’ Association of Ontario
- Ontario College of Teachers, Certified to teach in junior, intermediate, and senior divisions
- Member, Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (Active Retired Member)
- Member, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Member, National Science Teachers’ Association
- Member, Michigan Science Teachers’ Association
- Member, Science Teachers’ Association of Ontario
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
- Associate Professor of Teacher Education, Rochester College (2001-present)
- Adjunct, Faculty of Education, University of Windsor (1998-2001)
- Coordinator of Mathematics, Science, and Technology, Windsor Board of Education (1988-1998)
- Assistant Coordinator, Science and Computer-Assisted Instruction, Windsor Board of Education (1997-1998)
- Assistant Head of Science, Windsor Board of Education (1985-1988)
- Teacher of Biology, Physics, and General Science, Windsor Board of Education (1965-1988)
Jim was born and raised in Canada. He is married to Paula, and they have three adult children, Laura, David, and Leisa, and four grandsons. Paula is a retired music teacher. Laura and David are currently educators, and Leisa is a librarian, so the family has many ties to the teaching profession. Jim is currently an elder at the West Side Church of Christ in Windsor, Ontario, and has served as a deacon, treasurer, and teacher within the congregation. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of Great Lakes Bible College in Waterloo, Ontario. Jim served as chairperson of the Science Coordinators and Consultants Association of Ontario for two terms, giving him opportunities to expand his horizons by interacting with the Ontario Ministry of Education and educators from across Canada and the United States.
- Author, Question Bank for Johnson, et al. Foundations of American Education: Perspectives on Education in a Changing World, 13th through 15th editions, Pearson Publishing, 2004, 2007, 2010.
- Author, Nelson Science 10 Applied Level Teacher Resource, Nelson-Thomson Learning, 2001.
- Author, Sustaining Ecosystems Unit and Weather Dynamics Unit, Nelson Science 10 Teacher Resource, Nelson-Thomson Learning, 2000.
- Author, Nelson Science and Technology 7 and 8: Structural Strength and Stability Teacher Resource, Nelson-Thomson Learning, 1999.
- Developmental Editor, Nelson Biology 11, Nelson-Thomson Learning, 2000.
- Numerous presentations to groups of teachers at the school district and provincial levels.