MEET THE FACULTY – Gordon E. MacKinnon
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences
Clinical Director, Psychology and Counseling Center
Ph.D., University of Detroit Mercy
M.A., Wayne State University
B.S., Oakland University
B.S., Rochester College
School: School of Natural and Behavioral Sciences
Office: Muirhead, 132
Phone: (248) 218.2122
- Lifespan Development
- Child Development
- Adolescent Development
- Adulthood and Aging
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Psychology of Religion
- Introduction to Psychological Assessment
- Introduction to Psychotherapy and Counseling
- Substance Abuse and Addictive Behaviors
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Introduction to Marital and Family Systems
- Psychology of Group Processes
- Ethics in Behavioral Science
- Marriage and the Family
- Pastoral Care
- Psychology and Theology of Horror, Science Fiction, and Fantasy
- Educational Psychology
HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS:
- American Psychological Association (APA), Member.
- Michigan Psychological Association (MPA), Member.
- American Psychotherapy Association (APA), Fellow.
- Michigan Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology (MSPP), Member and Past Treasurer.
- Academy for the Study of the Psychoanalytic Arts, Member and Vice-President.
- National Council on Family Relations, Member.
- Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) with the National Council on Family Relations.
- American Psycho-Oncology Society, Member.
- National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology, Member.
- American College of Forensic Examiners (ACEFI), Member.
- Academy of Certified Chaplains – Advanced Level III.
- American Board of Certification in Homeland Security (ABCHS), Member.
- Certified in Homeland Security – Level II (CHS-II).
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE:
- Chair, Department of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, 2005-present.
- Clinical Director, Psychology and Counseling Clinic, 2005-present.
- Sponsor, Psi Chi: The International Society for Psychology, 2003-present.
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Clinical Psychology Supervisor, 1987-present.
- Psychologist, Havenwyck Adolescent Residential Treatment Center, Auburn Hills, Mi, 1996-2002.
- Psychologist, Wyandotte Hospital and Medical Center; Wyandotte, Michigan—Partial Hospitalization for Youth (PHY), 1994-1995.
- Psychology Post-Doctoral Intern, Wyandotte Hospital and Medical Center Psychology Clinic, 1995.
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology Internship, Wyandotte Hospital and Medical Center; Wyandotte, Michigan (APA Accredited) 1993-1994.
- M.A. Psychology Practicum Student, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, 1986–1987.
- Support Group Leader, Beaumont Urology-USToo Prostate Cancer Support Group, 2008-present.
- American Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team with the Michigan Psychological Association.
Gordon is married to Nancy Keller-MacKinnon, who teaches as an adjunct at Rochester College in Social Work and Early Education. They have a daughter, Ashley, who is a 2008 graduate of Rochester College. Gordon has maintained a private practice in Clinical Psychology for the past 26 years with children, adolescents and adults in Southeast Michigan. His experiences in psychiatric hospitals and with out-patient psychotherapy has included Behavioral and Neuropsychological evaluations, Marital and Family therapy, and Adolescent Residential treatment.
- MacKinnon, G.E. (2012). The Walking (Un)Dead: Psychological Reflections on Survival in the Zombie Post-Apocalypse (or any Extreme Disaster). Unpublished manuscript.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2011). Reflections on psychotherapy and cancer. Michigan Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology Newsletter (February, 2011).
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Self-concept and psychological resilience in children victimized by terrorism: A review of the literature. Forum on Public Policy, Oxford University , London, England – July 1, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Marital dynamics and psychosocial adjustment in the first three years following the diagnosis and treatment of Prostate Cancer. Research grant proposal with the Lance Armstrong Foundation, Austin, Texas.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (1997). Locus of control, field independence/field dependence, mood disturbance, and stress response to a natural disaster film. Unpublished Dissertation, University of Detroit-Mercy.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2010). Coping with stress in life. Lecture/discussion presentation, Beaumont Urology/USToo Prostate Cancer support group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, January 19, 2010.
- MacKinnon, G. M. (2008). Managing Stress during Cancer Treatment and Beyond. Lecture/discussion presentation, Karmanos Cancer Treatment Centers, Weisberg Cancer Treatment Center (March 24, 2010); Monroe Cancer Connection (April 14, 2010).
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2008). The emotional journey of prostate cancer. Lecture/discussion presentation, Beaumont Urology/USToo Prostate Cancer support group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, December 16, 2008.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2007). Benefit-Finding in cancer research: A Psycho-oncology perspective for pastoral care. Lecture/discussion presentation at the Christian Scholar’s Conference, Rochester College, June 21, 2007.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2007). Pastoral responses to crisis and loss. Lecture presentation for Elderlink at Rochester College, January 27, 2007.
- MacKinnon, G.E. (2006). Self-Concept and psychological resilience in children victimized by terrorism. Lecture/discussion presentation, Christian Scholar’s Conference, Rochester College, July 1, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Intimacy following prostate cancer. Lecture/discussion presentation, USToo Prostate Cancer Support Group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, June 13, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Managing stress in effective ways. Lecture/discussion presentation, Rochester College “The Shrink is In” series, March 23, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Managing anxiety and stress following Prostate Cancer. Lecture/discussion presentation, USToo Prostate Cancer Support Group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, January 10, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G.E. (2004). Passport to Retirement: Psychological issues in retirement. Presentation with Larry Stack, Certified Financial Planner, October 21, 2004.
- MacKinnon, G. and Stogner, B. (2004). Marriage and Family Living presentation at the Naperville Church of Christ in Naperville, Illinois, July 23-25, 2004.
- MacKinnon, G. and Stogner, B. (2004). Psychological Reactions to an Industrial Accident, presentation at the Christian Scholar’s Conference at Rochester College, July 15-17, 2004.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (1992). Development of a measure of post-traumatic stress disorder in post office employees following a critical incident shooting. Unpublished research with Paula Christian Kliger, Ph.D., University of Detroit-Mercy.