Rebekah HaighRebekah Haigh, a 2013 graduate of Rochester College, has received a Fulbright Scholarship for the 2017-18 academic year.

After graduating from RC with a bachelor’s degree in biblical studies, Haigh studied at Emory University’s Candler School of Theology where she earned a Master of Theological Studies degree and a Master of Theology degree.

The Fulbright Scholarship is a competitive, merit-based grant for international educational exchange between the United States and more than 160 other countries. Haigh will leave in the fall to spend one-year studying at Hebrew University in Jerusalem. She plans to study the War Scroll, which is a manual for military organization and strategy that was discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947.

During her time at Rochester College, Haigh focused her academic talents on biblical languages, the Hebrew Bible, and archeology in Israel and Jordan.

“RC definitely played a large part in getting me where I am today,” Haigh said. “The willingness of faculty to invest in me as an individual and even tailor my education toward my own career goals in academia was such an advantage when I started looking at graduate schools in 2013.”

Haigh specifically mentions Dr. Craig Bowman, who recently retired from RC. “I’d like to give a shout out to my RC mentor and role model Craig Bowman. When I met him, I wanted to be him one day, wanted to inspire students to absolutely fall in love with the study of the Hebrew Bible and ancient Israelite history,” she said.

Haigh also was an honor’s scholar, supplemental instruction tutor, ACE Lab tutor, and a Shield editor.