Ongoing Alumni Chorus being formed this fall
Dear Chorus Alumni,
One of the dreams I have long had for me and for all of you is that one day we would be able to form an alumni chorus that would meet regularly and give all of us an opportunity to renew our musical and spiritual connections. It is time to fulfill that dream!
After a 25-year relationship directing the Rochester Community Chorus, I have resigned that position, creating space in my life to pursue this awesome dream. In the course of the last two weeks, I have proposed this idea on Facebook to over 200 local choral alumni, and over 70 have already committed to forming the Rochester College Alumni Chorus this September. If you did not receive an invitation, please consider the following information. If this could fit into your schedule, we would love to have you join us!
- Our first rehearsal will be on September 18 from 3-5:30 p.m. in the chapel at RC.
- Because we all have busy lives, we have agreed we will only meet every-other-week instead of every week. The rest of our rehearsals will be as follows: Oct. 2, Oct. 16, Oct. 30, Nov. 13, Nov. 27, Dec. 11, Jan. 15, Jan. 29, Feb. 12, Feb. 26, Mar. 12, Mar. 26, Apr. 9, Apr. 23.
- We will provide rehearsal tracks for all music so singers can work on music outside of our regular rehearsals. This should help everyone learn music so rehearsal time can be spent shaping the music for performance.
- This season will be filled with music we sang together. Subsequent seasons will also include new works.
- Our first public appearance will be singing the national anthem with the current A Cappella Chorus for Homecoming on Oct. 29 at 2 p.m.
- Our first teaser concert will be Feb. 28 at 7:30 p.m. as part of the Music Department Showcase. We will sing three or four songs to give an audience a taste of what is to come.
- Our first full, standalone concert will be Apr. 28 at 7:30 p.m. We will do a full concert of our own to a packed house. This date is actually flexible, and we will talk about it during our first rehearsals.
- Some time before that concert, it would be nice to do a recording we could have available at the concert. We will discuss the timing of that recording during rehearsals as well.
- The possibilities are endless for years to come!
If you would like to commit to singing with us, please fill out the online registration form found at www.rc.edu/alumnichorus. If you have additional questions, please contact me at email@example.com. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!
In His Service,
Joe R. Bentley, D.M.A.
Professor of Music
Chair, Department of Music